SuperVidel driver annoyances?

News, Support and Development discussions relating to SuperVidel.

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, instream, Moderator Team, Nature

Rustynutt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: SuperVidel driver annoyances?

Postby Rustynutt » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:21 pm

[quote="shoggoth"]Genlock on the SV? Does not make sense at all. Why, how?

External sync + genlock would make sense on a stock VIDEL machine on RGB, but not on a SuperVidel setup.[/quo

In the end, like to time stamp Falcon video out, VGA(digital) or RGB. Boot in RGB/F030 to force Falcon video out to sync with an external device. (abit, I don't know the full implementation on the Falcon). Doug Little added the feature for an overlay bit in Apex, which is likely only single color....not what I need.

But, a work around might be to utilize the VIDEL 32mhz clock as the SV does, to keep sync with the VIDEL, and feed it into a magic black box to stamp both Falcon audio out (Steinberg devices) and time stamp the video by latching onto the Falcon video clock. I'm not looking to genlock the 2 videos really, need to time stamp video and audio.

Will have to set on my thumb awhile over this :)

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:46 pm

@Rustynut: Well, what you're trying to achieve have little or nothing to do with the SV drivers nor with the SV hw. The SV provides a compatible environment for VIDEL applications, but it does by no means provide the kind of hardware functionality you need for genlocking. It's not designed for that, sorry :-/
Ain't no space like PeP-space.

Rustynutt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rustynutt » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:46 pm

shoggoth wrote:@Rustynut: Well, what you're trying to achieve have little or nothing to do with the SV drivers nor with the SV hw. The SV provides a compatible environment for VIDEL applications, but it does by no means provide the kind of hardware functionality you need for genlocking. It's not designed for that, sorry :-/

What I'm looking at is using the same clock as the SV does (for games and demos). In the instructions it states connecting the SV wires to the 32mHZ clock on the Falcon motherboard keeps the SV and Videl clock on the same clock pulse (with reason ). Is the video out from the digital video connector not in sync with the Videl function, or is it different internally? If not, guess the idea isn't plausible.

A lot of "stuff" uses sync on green, or red or whatever in component output. (720*480). Maybe Doug can figure out how to tag inside Apex, that would resolve. Just need a reference.

Just want it for sprites and audio. Sony Vegas can ad timing marks to both, and as long as they are started on the same line, it will keep both in sync. You have to manually bring it back in every so ofter to deal with "lip sync". Most video on, say in Apex Media, you have no control over frame rate. You'd have to convert it to another format, and then are tied to editing on a PC.

There's a German program Overlay, that allows text to be overlayed onto video, but haven't really looked at what it does hardware wise, or if all you can do is time (in seconds or minutes, the display time of the text. It does use the external sync function, as much as my German allows me to understand :)

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:49 pm

Rustynutt wrote:
shoggoth wrote:@Rustynut: Well, what you're trying to achieve have little or nothing to do with the SV drivers nor with the SV hw. The SV provides a compatible environment for VIDEL applications, but it does by no means provide the kind of hardware functionality you need for genlocking. It's not designed for that, sorry :-/

What I'm looking at is using the same clock as the SV does (for games and demos). In the instructions it states connecting the SV wires to the 32mHZ clock on the Falcon motherboard keeps the SV and Videl clock on the same clock pulse (with reason ). Is the video out from the digital video connector not in sync with the Videl function, or is it different internally? If not, guess the idea isn't plausible.

A lot of "stuff" uses sync on green, or red or whatever in component output. (720*480). Maybe Doug can figure out how to tag inside Apex, that would resolve. Just need a reference.

Just want it for sprites and audio. Sony Vegas can ad timing marks to both, and as long as they are started on the same line, it will keep both in sync. You have to manually bring it back in every so ofter to deal with "lip sync". Most video on, say in Apex Media, you have no control over frame rate. You'd have to convert it to another format, and then are tied to editing on a PC.

There's a German program Overlay, that allows text to be overlayed onto video, but haven't really looked at what it does hardware wise, or if all you can do is time (in seconds or minutes, the display time of the text. It does use the external sync function, as much as my German allows me to understand :)

Either you know very well what you're doing, or you're very, very, very off track with your SuperVidel.
Ain't no space like PeP-space.

Rustynutt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rustynutt » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:52 am

shoggoth wrote:
Rustynutt wrote:

Either you know very well what you're doing, or you're very, very, very off track with your SuperVidel.

http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/257326-Matrox-DVI-PLUS
As example, on the high end.

Social Media

Return to “SuperVidel”