SuperVidel driver annoyances?

News, Support and Development discussions relating to SuperVidel.

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., lp, [ProToS], instream, Moderator Team, Nature

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: SuperVidel driver annoyances?

Postby Rajah Lone » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:55 pm

shoggoth wrote:I base this suspicion on other code Didier has written (he detects the pixel format in the console by checking the video base address in TOS, for example.)

I thought Aniplayer relied on the EdDI cookie, that allow programs to use the vq_scrninfo() function. If the screen driver gives correct values for vq_scrninfo(), then the display should work for all applications that call this VDI function.
No guess about what happens when the EdDI cookie is not present, but the coder must assume that the screen is Atari standard.

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:08 pm

Rajah Lone wrote:
shoggoth wrote:I base this suspicion on other code Didier has written (he detects the pixel format in the console by checking the video base address in TOS, for example.)

I thought Aniplayer relied on the EdDI cookie, that allow programs to use the vq_scrninfo() function. If the screen driver gives correct values for vq_scrninfo(), then the display should work for all applications that call this VDI function.
No guess about what happens when the EdDI cookie is not present, but the coder must assume that the screen is Atari standard.

Don't think it does.

The SV drivers use the same NVDI driver in e.g. 1920x1080x16bpp (SV-specific mode) and 320x480x16bpp (VIDEL mode). It's the same driver, which returns the same vq_scrninfo() (it's NVDI; with screen drivers; it has vq_scrninfo(), offscreen bitmaps, the lot) info, and hence Aniplayer should use the same pixel format. It doesn't. I've noticed however that even 320x480x16bpp (SV-mode) works in Aniplayer (iirc). This means Aniplayer might even do something as far fetched as checking the size of the screen to determine the pixel format.

I'd love to be wrong though, because I'd like to be able to use Aniplayer in proper resolutions.
Ain't no space like PeP-space.

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:39 pm

patjomki wrote:Well, as my monitor is capable of 1920x1200 this resolution would be nice. 8)

I've implemented this and tested it on a couple of monitors. It will be included in the next driver revision.

Beetle
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Beetle » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:14 am

shoggoth wrote:
patjomki wrote:
And my SuperVidel is running fine except the fact that the ATARI logo in the ct60 boot screen is totally distorted. Is this normal?

Normal, unfortunately. Didier haven't blitter-patched TOS very much, and since we can't snoop the operations of the blitter, it current looks like that.

I found out, if you use bootconf.prg to set 80 columns, no linedoubling, 65536 colors,
the boot ATARI logo is displayed correctly. On the videl output (i have the VGA adapter
plugged), you don't get a valid screen output, but on Supervidel output is working.
Only the white background is a little bit shaded, you can notice it as soon boot messages
scroll the screen upwards.
What Atari do you want to modify today?

evil
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby evil » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:29 pm

Beetle wrote:
shoggoth wrote:
patjomki wrote:
And my SuperVidel is running fine except the fact that the ATARI logo in the ct60 boot screen is totally distorted. Is this normal?

Normal, unfortunately. Didier haven't blitter-patched TOS very much, and since we can't snoop the operations of the blitter, it current looks like that.

I found out, if you use bootconf.prg to set 80 columns, no linedoubling, 65536 colors,
the boot ATARI logo is displayed correctly. On the videl output (i have the VGA adapter
plugged), you don't get a valid screen output, but on Supervidel output is working.
Only the white background is a little bit shaded, you can notice it as soon boot messages
scroll the screen upwards.

The same in APEX, the normally non-usable 640x480x16bit resolution works on SuperVidel, no hacks needed. I was a bit baffled at first and thought I had accidently set 8bit mode. But nope, it was 16.

viking272
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby viking272 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:46 pm

shoggoth wrote:
I've implemented this and tested it on a couple of monitors. It will be included in the next driver revision.

Hi,
Is there another driver and firmware release planned?

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:38 pm

viking272 wrote:Hi,
Is there another driver and firmware release planned?

Current release is not the final one, if that's what you mean :) No date set though.

Anything particular on your wish list?

saulot
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby saulot » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:18 am

I have one wish, open source those drivers and integrate driver code into ct60tos. But I think I've already said that once.

Cheers,

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:50 pm

Yeah, open sourcing would be wonderful !
Falcon CT60, Falcon CT63 x2, TT x3, MegaST x2, MegaSTE x2, STFM x2, STE x2, STacy, STBook, (Dead) Hades 060, Milan 060, T40.

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:41 am

It's on my eternal todo-list. There are reasons for not releasing the source code at this point. No good ones, but still, reasons ;-) If anyone would like to discuss driver development or want to write their own drivers using similar methods, I'm more than willing to share knowledge naturally.

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

SuperVidel driver annoyances?

Postby alanh » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:14 pm

What are the reasons out of curiosity ?
Falcon CT60, Falcon CT63 x2, TT x3, MegaST x2, MegaSTE x2, STFM x2, STE x2, STacy, STBook, (Dead) Hades 060, Milan 060, T40.

deeez
Atari User
Atari User

Postby deeez » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:11 pm

Hi,

Not sure if this is driver related but I cant seem to get sv_xbios.prg to run from auto. If I run it manually from desktop I get supervidel output and all seems well. I've got things stripped down to the bare minimum and only nvdi.org and sv_xbios.prg in auto and I've tried changing the start order but nothing.
I assume the settings (sv.inf) are ok since I can start it from desktop.

Any ideas?
Fredrik.

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:19 pm

Deeez,

Funny. Never heard of this before.

What's your TOS version, what's in your auto folder ( + order of programs in auto)?

-- PeP

deeez
Atari User
Atari User

Postby deeez » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:25 pm

Nature bros kindly helped me set things up at sommarhack but we never got past this problem. Tos is 1.03c and I've tried both with and without nvdi in auto. Apart from that it's empty.

deeez
Atari User
Atari User

Postby deeez » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:26 pm

...empty except for sv_xbios.prg obviously.

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:56 pm

What happens when it's launched from /auto/? I've noticed that CT60-TOS sometimes "forgets" to set the _CPU-cookie properly (for example).

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:22 pm

Just a hunch, but do you have TOS 4.04 on the Falcon's main board?
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

deeez
Atari User
Atari User

Postby deeez » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:51 am

shoggoth wrote:What happens when it's launched from /auto/? I've noticed that CT60-TOS sometimes "forgets" to set the _CPU-cookie properly (for example).

I can see the text output from sv_xbios.prg flash on the screen and then I get garbage on videl output but nothing on supervidel. Actually I cant remember if I get garbage on videl when run from auto or when run manually, its probably the other way around, garbage on videl when run manually and just a white screen if run from auto.

deeez
Atari User
Atari User

Postby deeez » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:52 am

Dal wrote:Just a hunch, but do you have TOS 4.04 on the Falcon's main board?

Yes, I guess 99% of all falcons out there have 4.04?

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:12 am

Correct - and unless something changed, the CT60 soft-firmware actually copies in TOS from the physical rom and patches it.
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

deeez
Atari User
Atari User

Postby deeez » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:32 pm

Dal wrote:Correct - and unless something changed, the CT60 soft-firmware actually copies in TOS from the physical rom and patches it.

I dont quite get it, I guess things perhaps wouldnt work if I had tos 4.02 or similar?

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:59 pm

deeez wrote:
Dal wrote:Correct - and unless something changed, the CT60 soft-firmware actually copies in TOS from the physical rom and patches it.

I dont quite get it, I guess things perhaps wouldnt work if I had tos 4.02 or similar?

Motherboard TOS rev shouldn't mattet. CT TOS replaces TOS completely during boot.

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:03 pm

Wild theory - how's your NVRAM, and what's your boot resolution? NVRAM contents?

deeez
Atari User
Atari User

Postby deeez » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:54 pm

shoggoth wrote:Wild theory - how's your NVRAM, and what's your boot resolution? NVRAM contents?

Nvram is dead I think, perhaps thats whats causing the problem? Boot resolution is st-low I guess?

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:24 pm

deeez wrote:Nvram is dead I think, perhaps thats whats causing the problem? Boot resolution is st-low I guess?

Who knows? I'm trying to come up with something that's different in your machine compared to mine..

Are you using the "replace NVRAM" option in the CT60 CPX thingy? I've enabled this option, my NVRAM is dead, and I've set the boot resolution to 640x480x1bpp. I'm using 1.03c as well, no bus speeder, nothing.

Social Media

Return to “SuperVidel”