SuperVidel driver annoyances?

News, Support and Development discussions relating to SuperVidel.

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, instream, Moderator Team, Nature

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Re: SuperVidel driver annoyances?

Postby Dal » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:51 am

shoggoth wrote:
deeez wrote:
Dal wrote:Correct - and unless something changed, the CT60 soft-firmware actually copies in TOS from the physical rom and patches it.

I dont quite get it, I guess things perhaps wouldnt work if I had tos 4.02 or similar?

Motherboard TOS rev shouldn't mattet. CT TOS replaces TOS completely during boot.

Are you 100% sure on this? Here is a quote from Rodolphe Czuba in an admittedly very old interview about CT60 (source: http://www.myatari.co.uk/issues/mar2001/centurbo.htm)

Rodolphe Czuba wrote:stc: A tough subject is the operating system. Milan and Medusa put some hard work into a stable TOS on their 060 machines and prototypes. Which version of TOS will you use for the CT60 and how is compatibility realised?

Rodolphe: We will use the TOS of the Falcon. We have coded a boot for the flash memory. The software initialises the CT60 registers (the SDRAM for example), and this one copies the ROM into the 1 MB flash by patching some things like the PMMU tree. The 060 FPU library is also in the flash.

Also, in Didier's release post on DHS for TOS 2.01, he states:
Didier wrote:I updated archives, it's a Firebee release, but there are some features for the CT60:
- Retry loop for read the flash and copy the TOS until the CRC is correct.

So, from this, I have always had the impression that for ct60, the original (licensed) TOS is copied in from the Falcon to the 1mb flash and then patched to work for the ct60 before execution at boot time.

This has always been ambiguous, and until now, not really seen anything definitive around the boot process for the ct60. However, for legal/licensing reasons, it would make sense to use the original TOS, right?

So, assuming the above is true (I may have misunderstood), then what happens when TOS <4.04 is used?
TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

instream
Nature
Nature

Postby instream » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:19 am

When looking through the CT60 flash tool source code and actually having used the tool, I have always been under the impression that the CT60TOS.BIN (1MB) that you write into the CT60 flash chip using FLASH060.PRG contains a full TOS image with preapplied patches for 060. In the FLASH.TOS directory of Didier's releases you have source code and makefile to produce FLASH.TTP, which I think in turn produces the CT60TOS.BIN when run. Then you go to the FLASH.TOO directory and run FLASH060.PRG using the produced CT60TOS.BIN.

It doesn't make sense to me that you should re-flash the CT60 flash on every boot, with data from the MB TOS chip, since that should take quite long.

About Deez problem: Didn't we use my harddrive in your falcon, and then everything worked 100% fine?

deeez
Atari User
Atari User

Postby deeez » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:29 am

I think it probably did work with your hard drive but I still can't figure out what I'm doing wrong :) I have tried with nothing apart from sv_xbios.prg and nvdi in auto (no accs/cpxs) loaded but it still doesn't work. I could try with the ct60 cpx and see what happens.

Fredrik

evil
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby evil » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:30 am

Dal wrote:Also, in Didier's release post on DHS for TOS 2.01, he states:
Didier wrote:I updated archives, it's a Firebee release, but there are some features for the CT60:
- Retry loop for read the flash and copy the TOS until the CRC is correct.

So, from this, I have always had the impression that for ct60, the original (licensed) TOS is copied in from the Falcon to the 1mb flash and then patched to work for the ct60 before execution at boot time.

It says _read_ the flash, not write.
So what it does is copy from flash to TT-RAM. TOS will run faster from TT-RAM than from flash.

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:58 am

deeez wrote:I think it probably did work with your hard drive but I still can't figure out what I'm doing wrong :) I have tried with nothing apart from sv_xbios.prg and nvdi in auto (no accs/cpxs) loaded but it still doesn't work. I could try with the ct60 cpx and see what happens.

Fredrik

Are you using HDDriver? Which version? (not that it should matter)...

Another thing I'd like you to try is to start fresh with a new newdesk.inf (rename your existing one to .inx or something).

Have you tried without NVDI?
Ain't no space like PeP-space.

deeez
Atari User
Atari User

Postby deeez » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:42 am

I'm getting closer, I now have output from supervidel if sv_xbios.prg is run from auto although its garbage its the same output as from videl which is good I guess.
I installed the ct60 config cpx and ticked "replace nvram" and set st-high as boot resolution.
In case it matters I'm on hddriver 7.60.

Before posting this I thought I'd try and reset SV.INF settings from the package at nature.atari.org and save a new newdesk.inf from when I had ran sv_xbios.prg manually and I get a better boot sequence; normal output on both videl and supervidel and once the driver is loaded it show progress on supervidel output and I end up with 1920x1080 which is what I had saved but the top part of the screen contains the boot text (nvdi load text) and the then the desktop shifted down a bit. It doesnt respond to input and videl output is garbage but it changes when I move the mouse around so it hasnt crashed.

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:21 pm

Is this with - or without - NVDI? What I want from you is:

1. Boot resolution == 1bpp 640x480, "replace NVRAM" enabled
2. Autofolder contains SV_XBIOS only
3. Original, un-altered SV.INF
4. Delete/rename newdesk.inf

Result?

deeez
Atari User
Atari User

Postby deeez » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:20 pm

Result without nvdi is no output on SV, TV complains about mode not supported. Not sure what means exactly. With nvdi I get output but I only see Atari logo and nvdi init text, nothing more.

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:28 pm

deeez wrote:Result without nvdi is no output on SV, TV complains about mode not supported. Not sure what means exactly. With nvdi I get output but I only see Atari logo and nvdi init text, nothing more.

Is there a VGA adapter in your VIDEL port?

deeez
Atari User
Atari User

Postby deeez » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:43 pm

shoggoth wrote:
deeez wrote:Result without nvdi is no output on SV, TV complains about mode not supported. Not sure what means exactly. With nvdi I get output but I only see Atari logo and nvdi init text, nothing more.

Is there a VGA adapter in your VIDEL port?

yes

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:05 pm

But it did work with another harddisk / install?

deeez
Atari User
Atari User

Postby deeez » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:29 pm

Yes I believe we tried with a proper setup using instreams drive and it worked fine

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:03 am

Hmm... Doesn't make sense - that leaves only the HDdriver version, which shouldn't matter at all.

viking272
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby viking272 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:07 pm

Fredrik, could the difference between one disk (instreams) and your original is that your disk has some mild corruption on some important files?
Do you have a spare disk/SD card to build another bootable disk to try? Just a thought...

deeez
Atari User
Atari User

Postby deeez » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:53 pm

viking272 wrote:Fredrik, could the difference between one disk (instreams) and your original is that your disk has some mild corruption on some important files?
Do you have a spare disk/SD card to build another bootable disk to try? Just a thought...

Could be, I've had problems with file corruption on C: before so I wouldnt rule that out. However, sv_xbios.prg in c:\auto run (and work) if started manually so the file is ok. I guess maybe auto itself could be a problem somehow. I dont think I tried booting only nvdi from auto. Maybe I should try to get hold of another drive..

Fredrik.

HuggyOne76
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby HuggyOne76 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:23 pm

Is sv_xbios.prg the firt program to be run in your autofolder ? I know I had problems with that if my nvdi or mint was before (and so I used autosort to fix that !).

deeez
Atari User
Atari User

Postby deeez » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:08 am

HuggyOne76 wrote:Is sv_xbios.prg the firt program to be run in your autofolder ? I know I had problems with that if my nvdi or mint was before (and so I used autosort to fix that !).

yes

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:27 am

To rule out hddriver and/or hd integrity problems, perhaps you could put the driver stuff on floppy and boot from there, and see what happens.

saulot
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby saulot » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:30 pm

Hi!
Any news about updates for drivers and firmware?
Still waiting for official repository with driver for sv / svethlana and integration of ct60 bios with sv driver support..

johannes
Atari User
Atari User

Postby johannes » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:24 am

Hi,

I might have another minor request for new driver. At boot, it would be great to print out Firmware version. That would have saved me some time in setting up my SV. But thats only for convenience... I am sure, there are more important things to fix/extend ;)

BR
Johannes
http://www.atari-home.de
Falcon060 w/ SV & Svethlana - Firebee - Mega STE - Mega ST - 1040 ST(F/M) - Lynx II - Portfolio - NeXTstation - Sun Ultra 1/30 Sun SparcStation 20 - Sun Fire V215 - Sun Netra T1 - Apple XServe G5

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:05 pm

It's pretty stupid not to print the version number during boot. My personal theory is that the author of that driver is a complete idiot.

johannes
Atari User
Atari User

Postby johannes » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:09 pm

Did I just not found it? Please advise.
http://www.atari-home.de
Falcon060 w/ SV & Svethlana - Firebee - Mega STE - Mega ST - 1040 ST(F/M) - Lynx II - Portfolio - NeXTstation - Sun Ultra 1/30 Sun SparcStation 20 - Sun Fire V215 - Sun Netra T1 - Apple XServe G5

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:14 pm

If it works, you probably have the right files :)

Rustynutt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rustynutt » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:27 am

shoggoth wrote:... got some help from my friends at #atariscene :)

Basically I just have to force external sync, and the VIDEL output is shut off completely (unless someone has some external sync thingy connected, which shouldn't be the case. It's not a scenario I'll support anyway).

Doing some archeological research

Is this something implemented in SV drivers?
Finally setup to genlock the Falcon.

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:55 am

Genlock on the SV? Does not make sense at all. Why, how?

External sync + genlock would make sense on a stock VIDEL machine on RGB, but not on a SuperVidel setup.

Social Media

Return to “SuperVidel”