SuperVidel + XaAES (modecode config)

News, Support and Development discussions relating to SuperVidel.

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, instream, Moderator Team, Nature

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

SuperVidel + XaAES (modecode config)

Postby shoggoth » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:35 am

There is a slight design flaw (in my highly personal opinion) in XaAES which manifests itself as follows (workarounds for SuperVidel users are presented below):

1. XaAES reads the "video"-entry (modecode) from xaaes.cnf.
2. If it is a VGA mode, XaaES then checks if this is a >=16bpp resolution, and concludes that there are no 80 column truecolor VGA modes, and forces a 40 column mode.

This is a design mistake in XaAES, because the AES is not supposed to know about XBIOS internals, or details about what modecodes are available. It's supposed to use existing calls and evaluate things based on those existing calls. So there is a mistake in the XaAES code (k_init.c, if I remember correctly).

There are two workarounds for this:

1. Set the modecode as if it was an RGB mode (clear the VGA flag, and flip the VERTFLAG). On a SuperVidel, this is the very same resolution, and XaAES won't execute the code that screws up the modecode.

or

2. Remove the "video" entry in xaaes.cnf. Edit SV.INF (SuperVidel config file) and set the modecode on the "default" line. Basically, if the AES does not supply a modecode (which is the case, since you removed the "video" entry in xaaes.cnf), it will use this default mode instead.

(there is also an "override" modecode option in SV.INF, which will force the use of a particular modecode for the AES, but this means you can't switch resolution in the desktop - which would be a pity since I did write a new multi-lingual resolution dialog for you guys).

Ideally someone (me), should contribute to the XaAES sources to have this fixed. But for now, I hope you are ok with the workarounds described above. I personally recommend workaround #2.
Ain't no space like PeP-space.

Paolo
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: SuperVidel + XaAES (modecode config)

Postby Paolo » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:43 am

workaround #2 is esxactly what I did.
However, this doesn't work under MiNT, right?
I can't access any chres window from xaaes, but I can do under TOS.
What I am missing?

(By the way, this is my very first message sent from my CT60/MiNT1.18/SV/SvethLana)

YAY!

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:30 pm

Paolo wrote:workaround #2 is esxactly what I did.
However, this doesn't work under MiNT, right?

XaAES only runs under FreeMiNT, it doesn't run under TOS. The workaround is for the modecode entry in xaaes.cnf; you juse put it in SV.INF instead. I don't understand the question?

I can't access any chres window from xaaes, but I can do under TOS.
What I am missing?

You're not missing anything, modecode configuration in XaAES is done through xaaes.cnf (or in this case, SV.INF).

(By the way, this is my very first message sent from my CT60/MiNT1.18/SV/SvethLana)

YAY!

Awesomeness :-D !!!! \o/

Paolo
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paolo » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:46 pm

Sorry for the confusing question.
You answered perfectly.
I only hoped that xaaes had a reschange dialog like in the older versions.

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:55 pm

Paolo wrote:I only hoped that xaaes had a reschange dialog like in the older versions.

The original resolution dialog is still available in XaAES unless someone else removed it (but afaik it can only set standard Falcon/VIDEL-resolutions. IIRC it's fairly tightly integrated in XaAES, but who knows - perhaps I (or someone else) extends the original resolution dialog later on. For now, the method of setting the modecode through xaaes.cnf/sv.inf will have to do, I'm afraid!

mdivancic
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mdivancic » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:24 pm

OK, I had something strange today. I installed a new monitor that allowed higher resolutions (1920x1080), but if I ran in this mode, the system went nuts. Programs couldn't run, memory violations. Took me a while to straighten it out, and get back to normal. Note, I'm setting my resolution using xaaes video command. Any idea why this is happening?

Update: If I follow these instructions here I don't have this problem. Why?
Mikey
Atari Falcon 030, CT-63 w/128MB @ 76MHz, 14 MB RamGizmo, SuperVidel + SvethLANa
Atari TT030, CaTTamaran, 4 MB ST-Ram, 16 MB TT-RAM, ECL2VGA
Amiga 4000T (QuickPak), OS 3.9, QuickPak 060 w/128 MB, Picasso IV, A2065, AD516
Commodore 128D, 1084S monitor, RAMLink, CMD 4.1GB Hardrive
Commodore SX-64

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:49 pm

mdivancic wrote:OK, I had something strange today. I installed a new monitor that allowed higher resolutions (1920x1080), but if I ran in this mode, the system went nuts. Programs couldn't run, memory violations. Took me a while to straighten it out, and get back to normal. Note, I'm setting my resolution using xaaes video command. Any idea why this is happening?

Update: If I follow these instructions here I don't have this problem. Why?

I'm not sure I understand the problem :)

So...
1. What conditions trigger the problem?
2. What did you do differently to cure the problem?

Social Media

Return to “SuperVidel”