SuperVidel + MagiC

News, Support and Development discussions relating to SuperVidel.

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, instream, Moderator Team, Nature

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

SuperVidel + MagiC

Postby shoggoth » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:56 pm

The SuperVidel XBIOS and NVDI drivers were successfully tested on MagiC a few months ago, however it seems some recent changes broke MagiC compatibility. I think I have a fairly good idea what went "wrong" and will fix this for the next release.

So, any MagiC/SuperVidel users out there? If so, write a line or two about your setup and follow this thread!
Ain't no space like PeP-space.

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Re: SuperVidel + MagiC

Postby shoggoth » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:41 pm

Just another note for MagiC + SuperVidel users.

Unlike TOS/XaAES/FreeMiNT/Geneva/MyAES/NAES etc - it is *mandatory* to use NVDI (5.0x probably) with MagiC. The reason for this is that MagiC has its own VDI implementation, and the SuperVidel XBIOS has no (known) way of initializing this VDI when setting up the screen. So... use NVDI (see previous post about MagiC compatibility however - the current driver release *may* have trouble on MagiC - but again a fix for this will be provided in the next release).

sagan2
Atari User
Atari User

Postby sagan2 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:20 pm

...and where to get fixed chgres.prg in order to change resolutions? I tried editing sv.inf but it won't boot in 16 bit mode... :coffe:

Zogging Hell
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Zogging Hell » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:44 pm

I will probably use Magic as well as Mint, so I will keep an eye on this (I haven't had time to install the supervidel yet though).
Firebee, Falcon CT60, Milan 040, Falcon MkI, TT, Mega STe, Mega ST + Lots of STs of various flavours

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:31 am

Awesome :) Since I made *many* internal changes since I tested the drivers on MagiC, I sort of expected problems (fixable ones, naturally). I get the impression that they work (at least to some degree), but that I forgot to compile a new chgres.prg!

I will look into this ASAP, and get back to you soon. It should be simple (chgres.prg for the supervidel is basically a stand-alone version of the standard video dialog from the TOS desktop - it doesn't look as nice as the original chgres.prg, but it gets the job doen).

So sorry for the inconvenience - but I'll look into this really soon. Thank you for your patience.

sagan2
Atari User
Atari User

Postby sagan2 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:33 pm

thanx, it doesn't have to look fancy - only to switch resolutions in MagiC :) I use force line in sv.inf until then, only one resolution (1280x1024@256) but larger than before...The only strange thing was ethernec magicnet driver crashing when forcefully booting Magic in 16 bit mode... :?:

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:38 pm

I'm puzzled about the EtherNec issue. Could you provide some more information? Is this Sting or MagiCNet? Does it happen on boot or when running some particular application?

The only thing I could think of is that I secretly put the VIDEL into 320x240x16bpp when running a SuperVidel hicolor/truecolor resolution, because some (stupid) software check the VIDEL hardware registers to find out if they're running in a palette-based video mode.

EDIT: Forgot to say why this could be relevant! A hicolor/TC mode uses more bandwidth on the STRAM bus, and I guess it could affect timing etc for sensitive cartridge-based hw like the EtherNec. If this turns out to be the case, I can add an option to SV.INF which always sets the VIDEL in e.g. 320x200x1bpp (uses very little bandwidth) when running a SuperVidel (extended) resolution. But before I do stuff like that - more details please :)

EDIT #2: Sorry, I read "MagiCNet" as "ethernet" earlier, hence the question. My bad.

sagan2
Atari User
Atari User

Postby sagan2 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:04 pm

well, it is ethernec with magicnet (mintnet) driver...when loading desktop Magic reports "error" and that's it...e.G. this same error appears when I forget to plug in ethernec in cartridge port :) so, it is probably some issue between magicnet driver and ethernec hardware - system can't find hardware...so it looks to me...In TOS 16 bit mode works flawlessly with STiNG, but it would be really nice to be able use 16 bit mode under Magic and finally load webpages and pictures in 16 bit mode... please, see if you can do something about because I'd prefer using magicnet over Sting....

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:09 pm

sagan2 wrote:well, it is ethernec with magicnet (mintnet) driver...when loading desktop Magic reports "error" and that's it...e.G. this same error appears when I forget to plug in ethernec in cartridge port :) so, it is probably some issue between magicnet driver and ethernec hardware - system can't find hardware...so it looks to me...In TOS 16 bit mode works flawlessly with STiNG, but it would be really nice to be able use 16 bit mode under Magic and finally load webpages and pictures in 16 bit mode... please, see if you can do something about because I'd prefer using magicnet over Sting....

My main theory is that this is related to the MagiCNet EtherNec driver, and may not even be a SuperVidel driver issue at all. I will add the fix I mentioned earlier, but I have no idea if this would actually fix your problem. Maybe you could try running a standard VIDEL setup + MagiCNet + EtherNec in 16bpp VGA modes and see if that works?

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:45 pm

I made some quick fix to the existing chgres.prg. It'll be included in the next revision of the driver package.

Until then, grab it here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7091129/chgres.prg

Please let me know if it works or if you run into trouble!

EDIT: This version behaves VERY BAD if you do not load sv_xbios.prg. I kind of expected that. The final version (later) will work without sv_xbios.prg as well, so that you can switch between SV/060/030 setups more easily.

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:00 pm

Success stories? Does it work for you guys, or did you run into problems? :)

sagan2
Atari User
Atari User

Postby sagan2 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:39 pm

Hello, I had more time over the weekend to fiddle with it so here's what I did:

first of all, 32k mode without SV works normally in native resolution, also when using STiNG it was also possible to have both native and 16 bit 1280x1024 with SV with no problems...I tested it with Ethernec STiNG drivers, Magxdesk, Jinnee and Thing - everything works normally...
But, it seems that Magicnet drivers and Bnet which I use make problems in combination with patched NVVDI/or SV (have no idea, but they work normally in native 32k Falcon mode and Centscreen, too) - after some fiddling with TT ram bits and auto folder I discovered that Gluestik has to be loaded from auto folder - when loaded from start folder it gives something like this: fatal error - 68000 exception - with result of no Magicnet driver loaded....When loaded from auto folder the only error I get is: magx_sld.ovl ungueltiges handle, fehler #-37, but this error doesn't disable Magicnet driver so it is now usable in 16 bit 1280x1024 what is pretty nice and darn fast way of using Magic, too....SV is really a nice piece of hardware....;)

I tried chgres but only managed to start it - when selecting other resolution Magic crashes (I can't read the error since this screen is not possible to read - garbled letters only - it is the same screen I think which you get when pressed ctrl+alt+esc = list of programs - I can't get it readable, too...) - I think this could be because sv.inf has force value in it so I'll change this and try again :)
Thnx!! :cheers:

edit: removed force value of rersolution from sv.inf but magic crashes/halts when new resolution is selected in chgres and executed....

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:47 pm

Oops. Ok, I'll look into this. Meanwhile, the SV.INF settings will have to do.

Zogging Hell
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Zogging Hell » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:50 pm

shoggoth wrote:Success stories? Does it work for you guys, or did you run into problems? :)

Still working on the installation :wink: (trying to work out how to fit a DVI cable in the original case...)
Firebee, Falcon CT60, Milan 040, Falcon MkI, TT, Mega STe, Mega ST + Lots of STs of various flavours

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:46 am

I just installed MagiC on CT63 and SuperVidel (I use MiNT until now).

Where I can find latest driver pack for SuperVidel?
I can not find it on http://nature.atari.org - I only see firmware updates (and I do not have "Xilinx USB JTAG programer" so how I can upgrade my SuperVidel??)

Anyway, where I can find latest driver and other SuperVidel stuff for MagiC?
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

Social Media

Return to “SuperVidel”