SuperVidel News

News, Support and Development discussions relating to SuperVidel.

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, instream, Moderator Team, Nature

mdivancic
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: SuperVidel News

Postby mdivancic » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:19 am

Any updates on this?
Mikey
Atari Falcon 030, CT-63 w/128MB @ 76MHz, 14 MB RamGizmo, SuperVidel + SvethLANa
Atari TT030, CaTTamaran, 4 MB ST-Ram, 16 MB TT-RAM, ECL2VGA
Amiga 4000T (QuickPak), OS 3.9, QuickPak 060 w/128 MB, Picasso IV, A2065, AD516
Commodore 128D, 1084S monitor, RAMLink, CMD 4.1GB Hardrive
Commodore SX-64

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:18 am

Take a look at the news page at http://nature.atari.org

Specifically the entry dated 25th June. ;)
TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

mdivancic
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mdivancic » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:19 am

Dal wrote:Take a look at the news page at http://nature.atari.org

Specifically the entry dated 25th June. ;)

Completely missed that, thanks Dal!
Mikey
Commodore SX-64

Fenix
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Fenix » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:30 pm

Wish I had money for the SuperVidel.. they are not taking any more orders now :(

atarian90
Atariator
Atariator

Postby atarian90 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:59 am

Noooo! :( How could I have missed this? :oops: I hope they made a couple extras or make another run. I have been mostly out of the Atari-Forum browsing for almost the last year due to time and health issues. I even had the funds reserved, but it's no use now if I can't buy it. :|

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:06 am

I would also have been very interested - just missed it. :-z

pixben
Atarian
Atarian

Postby pixben » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:52 pm

from france : i ask them
when is it ready ?
they said

Don't worry

We are updating the SuperVidel layout because the manufacturer told us this summer that the layout they had agreed to earlier was not good for production.
But then we had to find new jobs because our company went bankrupt. And move Henrik's home to a new appartment.
So it has been a very busy summer. Right now Henrik is busy making the changes to the layout, but it takes a while and he can't work on it all the time.
It should take another week or so before we can send the new layout to them.

bye,
Torbjörn

jvas
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jvas » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:31 am

The Guys are doing a great job:

"2012-12-20 17:32:30
Today the manufacturer phoned Henrik and said that the four SuperVidel rev2 prototypes are ready!! :)

At first they had been pessimistic about making it before Christmas since the chinese subcontractor of the PCB laminates didn't deliver them last friday as promised, but yesterday.

We will pick them up tomorrow during lunch and post some pictures here later."

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:52 am

Awesomeness. Can't wait to see this in action (especially in my Falcon). :lol:
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

mdivancic
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mdivancic » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:02 pm

What a great holiday surprise! I check their site about once a week, but hadint' seen this yet. Thanks Jvas...
Mikey
Commodore SX-64

jvas
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jvas » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:35 pm

mdivancic wrote:What a great holiday surprise! I check their site about once a week, but hadint' seen this yet. Thanks Jvas...

You are welcome. It is the part of my daily morning "seance" at my workplace, to check their site, too ;)

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:04 pm

Probably crazy question but:

- is there any chance to see "composite desktop" on Atari/MiNT with SuperVidel (or some PCI graphic card)?

Amiga OS 4 has composite desktop...
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:05 pm

Doesn't the AES/VDI does rendering of windows for the applications?
It's some what like composite windows, where the OS does the rendering and application writes via a VDI buffer.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:09 am

If it is like that, than we only need acces to GPU VRAM - to make all VDI buffers in VRAM :)
And let GPU to compose desktop :)
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

mdivancic
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mdivancic » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:56 pm

Check out the latest news!

http://nature.atari.org
Mikey
Commodore SX-64

mdivancic
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mdivancic » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:14 am

Yet again, check out the latest news!

http://nature.atari.org

Cool!
Mikey
Commodore SX-64

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:32 pm

calimero wrote:If it is like that, than we only need acces to GPU VRAM - to make all VDI buffers in VRAM :)

Basically, window content is managed by the application, not the AES. The AES informs the application about areas which needs to be redrawn. The actual screen update is then handled by the application itself. On graphics cards such as the CTPCI and the SuperVidel, the screen generally already resides in VRAM, which makes this process much faster than it would be on standard hardware.

To achieve real compositing however, a new AES and VDI is needed.
Ain't no space like PeP-space.

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:56 pm

shoggoth wrote:
calimero wrote:If it is like that, than we only need acces to GPU VRAM - to make all VDI buffers in VRAM :)

Basically, window content is managed by the application, not the AES. The AES informs the application about areas which needs to be redrawn. The actual screen update is then handled by the application itself. On graphics cards such as the CTPCI and the SuperVidel, the screen generally already resides in VRAM, which makes this process much faster than it would be on standard hardware.

"the screen generally already resides in VRAM" - of course, but entire desktop screen, not as separate windows.

so what changes should be done to AES and VDI to achieve composite desktop? As I see it, there would be no need to AES inform application to do redraw of screen since every application window would never experience overlapping or to be partial hidden by other windows. every window should have it's own part of VRAM and composite engine would draw all this window in correct order to desktop. right? :)

btw I see that MyAES support semi transparent windows but how it is implemented? does it re-calculate RGB value for every pixel when windows is moved/dragged?

OL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby OL » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:06 pm

calimero wrote:
shoggoth wrote:

"the screen generally already resides in VRAM" - of course, but entire desktop screen, not as separate windows.

so what changes should be done to AES and VDI to achieve composite desktop? As I see it, there would be no need to AES inform application to do redraw of screen since every application window would never experience overlapping or to be partial hidden by other windows. every window should have it's own part of VRAM and composite engine would draw all this window in correct order to desktop. right? :)

btw I see that MyAES support semi transparent windows but how it is implemented? does it re-calculate RGB value for every pixel when windows is moved/dragged?

shoggoth is true. In the case of semi transparent windows it fully artificial this false transparency, the screen is locked just take a rectangle on the screen and calculate the transparency on the same screen, this is very simple.

The content of windows is manage by application and as there is no VDI handle by windows there is near no way to manage redraw by window unfortunatly, but I have found a first small solution to this problem it is possible to see in action here:
http://myaes.lutece.net/config_myaes.html#windows_ba
It's not fully finish and there is still some bugs.

This will be avaible on 0.96 version

OL
OL

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:19 pm

^
I saw that. So you manage to captures/save bitmap of running windows (even if they are hidden partially)?

OL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby OL » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:02 pm

calimero wrote:^
I saw that. So you manage to captures/save bitmap of running windows (even if they are hidden partially)?

Yes as you can see on the full image but it's good for computer with video card with memory (it work fine on CT60 with Radeon video card) to be fast or on Aranym.

Olivier
OL

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:12 pm

if it is no problem, can you explain how did you achieve this?

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:30 pm

My guess is that he saves a copy of the window contents before a window is untopped. That way he will always have a copy of the last known content of most windows.

It's a relatively easy way to get a "compositing" desktop, although it will be quite useless as you can't see any updates to the underlying windows. But it's a clever trick to preview windows :)
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:46 pm

calimero wrote:so what changes should be done to AES and VDI to achieve composite desktop? As I see it, there would be no need to AES inform application to do redraw of screen since every application window would never experience overlapping or to be partial hidden by other windows. every window should have it's own part of VRAM and composite engine would draw all this window in correct order to desktop. right? :)

Basically, lots. GEM isn't designed for it, and I highly doubt we'd benefit from it since it would mean using quite a bit of CPU and memory compared to how it works today. A compromise can be achieved when applications use offscreen bitmaps in VRAM, I guess.

Just guessing, since I haven't tried this feature:
1. Copy window contents
2. Redraw stuff that used to be covered by the window
3. Blit window to screen in some smart fashion, use a checkered pattern or some alpha thingy using the CPU or gfx card (there is no standard for alpha-blits on the Atari afaik. The SuperVidel supports it, but one would have to use the XBIOS interface for it). When the window is moved, undraw it and blit it again. Repeat.
Ain't no space like PeP-space.

OL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby OL » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:53 pm

shoggoth wrote:
calimero wrote:so what changes should be done to AES and VDI to achieve composite desktop? As I see it, there would be no need to AES inform application to do redraw of screen since every application window would never experience overlapping or to be partial hidden by other windows. every window should have it's own part of VRAM and composite engine would draw all this window in correct order to desktop. right? :)

Basically, lots. GEM isn't designed for it, and I highly doubt we'd benefit from it since it would mean using quite a bit of CPU and memory compared to how it works today. A compromise can be achieved when applications use offscreen bitmaps in VRAM, I guess.

Just guessing, since I haven't tried this feature:
1. Copy window contents
2. Redraw stuff that used to be covered by the window
3. Blit window to screen in some smart fashion, use a checkered pattern or some alpha thingy using the CPU or gfx card (there is no standard for alpha-blits on the Atari afaik. The SuperVidel supports it, but one would have to use the XBIOS interface for it). When the window is moved, undraw it and blit it again. Repeat.

Yes it work like this.

OL
OL

Social Media

Return to “SuperVidel”