Solved: CT60/CT63e won't boot with Supervidel

News, Support and Development discussions relating to SuperVidel.

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, instream, Moderator Team, Nature

Rustynutt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Solved: CT60/CT63e won't boot with Supervidel

Postby Rustynutt » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:34 am

Hey Guys

Been testing a CT60 and CT63e. Both cards work well, ran them as low as 50mHZ to 106mHz.
No problems in 060 mode or 030 mode.

1. With a Supervidel installed, neither card will boot. The monitor stays on, I think the SV is outputting maybe sync to keep the monitor going to the no connection icon. Not even getting to the loading TOS into SD RAM message. This issue isn't auto folder dependent.

2. After many resets, I've gotten two CT splash screens. Letting it boot further to the auto folder with the SV driver installed, it crashes spewing out a ton of stuff.

3. CT60 has the latest flash.

4. The next time splash screen came up, let it load the SDRAM, and stopped boot using Patrice Mandarin's version setup feature of 1.03c boot.

5. I thought having SV output to that screen, I could connect with the Xylinix box via USB, but auto detect cable didn't come up for the SV XC3S2000. However, the two Xylinix chips on the CT could be read. Tried to manually enter the XC3S, iMpact didn't like that. I've tried a few different versions of iMpact, 14.3 flashed the CT60 fine. Went to 14.4 for the XC3S.

Basically, 99% of reset's, the CT's are not getting even to the splash screen, IDE doesn't spin up. (with SV installed).

Would like to flash the SV using the Xylinx and V11 of softs, looks like that just isn't going to happen with the current set up.

Is there anyway to flash the SV off the CT6X's on the bench? What's a good pin to put power too. 5V or 3.3V?

Don't think I missed anything, only reason I can come up with is the flash isn't compatible with the CT63e or CT60 V7 boot or initialization.

Thanks in advance
Last edited by Rustynutt on Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Re: CT60/CT63e won't boot with Supervidel

Postby Dal » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:12 am

The intermittent nature of your problem leads me to suspect a timing issue rather than a flash one . That said, if you have the tools, flashing is a simple task. You should keep the boards in the machine, Connect the JTAG to the SV, set the CT60 to 030 mode and power up the machine so the Xilinx software can see it for flashing.

A few things before you reflash:
1. Are you running the SV clock sync lines? With 68ohm resistors?
2. Do you have a Falcon bus clock patch installed?
3. If you haven't done so, it could be worth replacing the 4700uf cap in the middle of the Falcon main board as the extra load may just be the tipping point for the 5v distribution.
TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, STacy 2, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

Rustynutt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: CT60/CT63e won't boot with Supervidel

Postby Rustynutt » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:40 am

(Dal answered before I posted this)

No sync lines attached
Has a clock patch
Replaced some caps a few years back. I know th big cap was replaced, hard to find the same size.

Took a while, I've got a hard head.

Re-read the part on Natures site where to put the odd and even update driver files.
Then it hit me in the head. I was seeing two devices in LabTools, but not the correct chip number.
Fought that for most of the night until it came to me the CT isn't connected to the Xylinix programmer.
So, it must be the Videl chips showing up, abit the wrong IC number.
Went for the money and loaded V11 of the SV drivers even though the ID was incorrect.
Took a few resets to blow the crap out of the CT I guess, but boots every time to the SuperVidel.
I'd put the SV NVDI SYS files in, but didn't put the SV driver in the auto folder.
It would crash when trying to copy files.
Thought maybe the boot loader isn't working quite right, so flashed 1.03 from Willy's storage.
Works fine with the CT60.
Was using bootloader 1.03c, from Patrice Mandrin.
Put sv_xbios in the autofolder, boom, from TOS can select all the cool resolutions!

Took a wife break :cheers:

So all is well under the GEM desktop.
Loading MiNT, there must be something I have set wrong. Every application is causing a memory violation error.
That is going to be something for tomorrow (that wife says)

Rustynutt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Solved: CT60/CT63e won't boot with Supervidel

Postby Rustynutt » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:16 am

Can't say enough, blown away with how the SuperVidel works and how damn fast it is! Took me a while to get there, nice to crack the box open after so many years. Top can go back on and stay there.

Faucon2001
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Faucon2001 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:57 am

Mint memory violation is because you should have memory protection activated at boot.
Or deactivate it in mint.ini or change memory flag of the offending program.
Philippe

Firebee, Falcon, STE, Aranym Box, Hatari Pi Box.
My music http://www.philippeworld.net/
My photography http://phil-67.deviantart.com/
EasyAraMint, BeeKey and BeePi https://sites.google.com/site/emaappsarch/home

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:32 pm

Faucon2001 wrote:Mint memory violation is because you should have memory protection activated at boot.
Or deactivate it in mint.ini or change memory flag of the offending program.

No, this is something that happens if you try to run XaAES with TOS VDI.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Social Media

Return to “SuperVidel”