All about ST/STE demos

Moderators: Mug UK, lotek_style, Moderator Team

Zarchos
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

3D objects coordonates wanted

Postby Zarchos » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:17 am

Hi all.

Just wondering if there's somewhere on the Net (or you've got that) some definitions of 3D objects.
It's for a project of a demo I've got.(well more a 'proof of concept' than a demo to tell the truth).
I wouldn't like to re invent the wheel, so it'd save me a lot of time to have a library of objects with their coordonates.
Thanks a lot in advance for your help.
Atari 1040 STE+SATAN, 520ST, 800xl, xegs, Amiga 500, 2000 with 68020, Archimedes, RISC PCs + Iyonix, Omega, BBC B, Atom, Electron, ZX 81, Spectrum 48/128/+2/+3, Speccy2010, Russian clones, Sam Coupe, V6Z80P, QL with accelerators, Enterprise 128, Einstein inc 256, Oric Atmos, MSX 1, 2, Thomson MO5, Amstrads inc CPC+, C 16, 64, 128, VG5000, Apple IIGS and more ! Yes I want to create a museum when I retire.

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Re: 3D objects coordonates wanted

Postby Zamuel_a » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:37 am

In what format do you need it in? I have a package with different models in PLG format. It was included in som old DOS 3d program I tested in the 90th. Some of the models are good for tests. They are easy to handle since it's a text format. There are several simple objects and also some more complex one like USS Enterprise and also the "famous" duck

plg_objects.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ST / STFM / STE / Mega STE / Falcon / TT030 / Portfolio / 2600 / 7800 / Jaguar / 600xl / 130xe

Zarchos
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Zarchos » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:45 am

Zamuel_a wrote:In what format do you need it in? I have a package with different models in PLG format. It was included in som old DOS 3d program I tested in the 90th. Some of the models are good for tests. They are easy to handle since it's a text format. There are several simple objects and also some more complex one like USS Enterprise and also the "famous" duck

plg_objects.zip

Thanks a lot for the upload.
Ideally I'd like to have them either as ASM source data or BASIC text data (DATA 1,2,3 etc ...) but I'm going to search on the Net what the encoding format of PLG is.
Thx again for your help, it's greatly appreciated.
Atari 1040 STE+SATAN, 520ST, 800xl, xegs, Amiga 500, 2000 with 68020, Archimedes, RISC PCs + Iyonix, Omega, BBC B, Atom, Electron, ZX 81, Spectrum 48/128/+2/+3, Speccy2010, Russian clones, Sam Coupe, V6Z80P, QL with accelerators, Enterprise 128, Einstein inc 256, Oric Atmos, MSX 1, 2, Thomson MO5, Amstrads inc CPC+, C 16, 64, 128, VG5000, Apple IIGS and more ! Yes I want to create a museum when I retire.

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Zamuel_a » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:00 pm

PLG is very simple. If you open the file you can see the data structure. First there is a vertex list with X Y Z. After that a face list with a reference to each vertex.
Either you make a loader for it or it is very easy to convert it into ASM data statements (but takes more time if you want to use different objects).
ST / STFM / STE / Mega STE / Falcon / TT030 / Portfolio / 2600 / 7800 / Jaguar / 600xl / 130xe

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:02 pm

Zarchos wrote:Ideally I'd like to have them either as ASM source data or BASIC text data (DATA 1,2,3 etc ...).

IMO you'll have trouble finding many objects if you want them in a very specific, unusual format. And you probably want to consider how new objects will be built, if/when you want them.

Better go for common formats and convert them to suit what you're doing. It's usually not too difficult. Even better, go for a format which you can import/edit/export via a lightweight modeller of your choice.

.OBJ is very common ASCII format - so while making a convertor tool is a bit of hassle (e.g. in BASIC), the process is obvious, easily validated and you only have to do it once. Loads of programs understand these files because it's fairly ancient.

If you want to stick with ST stuff you can try .3D2 format (Cad3D or Sculpt). It's documented and you should be able to find the docs. There are a finite number of (old) pre-made objects available but still quite a lot to play with. You can also edit these on an ST!

Last note - the formats which 3D objects normally travel in is usually not the format you'll want to be drawing them in, if you want to draw them with efficiency. Especially true for the more common formats. Try to keep the two problems separate if you can.

Zarchos
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Zarchos » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:44 pm

Thanks a lot guys for all these infos.
3D is new for me, and my 1st goal is to test a fast filling routine, and not write a whole 3D algo (at 1st).
I've got some source to plot 3D objects in BASIC, I'm, at 1st, going to replace the author's filling routines by mine, and once I'll have understood what the format of his 3D objects (there are a few in his source) is, add some to 'enrich' the demo.
Then I'll decypher the entire source to convert it to pure ASM, if it's worth it and it's not a dead slow algo ;-)
Thanks a lot again for your help, again that's very much appreciated, and an incentive to actually produce something.

EstTeeEfEm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EstTeeEfEm » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:34 pm

Mm, there was a series of Articles in a UK magazine called ST User that ran some 3D ASM Tutorials covering filling and polygons..
Its very simplistic and starts with builds on known shapes and moves to filling, backface clipping and ideas for integration into programs ;)
All done in ASM

Its quite nice.. check www.ZHELL.CO.UK for the magazine coverdisks.. and ask around on these forums for the magazine supplement counterparts.

EstTeeEfEm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EstTeeEfEm » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:54 pm

**This is a double post from another thread, my apologies but it would NOT have been obvious in the other thread**
Try, JULY ST User 1991

I'm currently in the process of an operating system clean out and am at the stage of new windows, no installed software

Ok, 3D_05 (Part 5 is on this one) Use the RUNTIME.PRG within the archive itself for more information (Hi res is better than med!)

http://www.zhell.co.uk/stuser/userjl91.zip

Trial and error will get the rest lol...

NB: March ST User 1991 APPEARS to be the start of the 3D tutorials
http://www.zhell.co.uk/stuser91.html
Last edited by EstTeeEfEm on Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:59 pm

I'm fairly sure I did a STOS extension during ancient history reads 3D2 objects somehow. Or maybe it came with a tool to convert them. In any case you ended up with 3D2 objects drawn in STOS by some route or other...

Although I won't vouch for something that crusty. YMMV.

EstTeeEfEm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EstTeeEfEm » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:00 pm

STOS 3D ... uuurgh ... **shudder***

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:02 pm

EstTeeEfEm wrote:STOS 3D ... uuurgh ... **shudder***

Not *that* one :)

exxos
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby exxos » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:06 pm

EstTeeEfEm wrote:STOS 3D ... uuurgh ... **shudder***

I used that "once" for a MEGA diskzine intro. But what he said ^^^^^^^^^^ :lol:
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - various clutter

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
http://ataristeven.exxoshost.co.uk/Steem.htm Latest Steem Emulator

Social Media

Return to “Demos - General”