All about ST/STE demos

Moderators: Mug UK, lotek_style, Moderator Team

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Going into demo creation in 2017?

Postby joska » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:32 pm

I mostly agree with you, except for this:

junisix wrote:It's more about the end result and learning about the ST that matters rather than how you do it

This is your personal preference, not a general rule. Other people may enjoy how just as much as (or more than) what.
Last edited by joska on Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

junosix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby junosix » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:10 pm

That's a good point!

sjuktstarkgrogg
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby sjuktstarkgrogg » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:56 pm

joska wrote:
sjuktstarkgrogg wrote:I hear some mixed opinions whether it's better to do it directly on an Atari Emulator on PC and then test them out on the machine or do the entire coding on the Atari ST.

What's "better"? Only you can say that. Sure, it's "better" (faster, easier) to code everything using vasm or gcc or whatever with Eclipse on top and some emulator for debugging. But is it more fun? You'll have to figure that out yourself. Personally I enjoy doing it the old school way. However, I do cheat: Back in the day when I was playing around with DEGAS, STOS, Devpac etc I only had a single computer with 1Mb RAM and a single floppy. Now I have 12Mb RAM, mass storage and graphics card which speeds up the process considerably. However, if I had more money I could have had the same setup in 1990 so I don't feel bad about it :D

Wow! Do you actually have 12Mb of RAM for your ST? I thought 4Mb was the maximum!? (I just ordered myself a 4Mb upgrade for my STe)
You have a good point actually, I completely see the immense charm of creating everything on that good old hardware and just make it run.. I've been creating chiptunes on old game consoles for a good while and I only compose on real hardware! One of the biggest obstacles for me is time, so I'd really want to be able to get to know demo-coding when I'm stand by at work or when I have a couple of hours to spare during the evenings... I carry my laptop with me everywhere, so it's probably gonna be on that one I start out learning how to code for the ST. Then I could take out my great STe during the weekend and try out my code on it.

Do you work with a SD solution such as Ultrasatan for cross platform demo programming ?
...or how do most of the demo creators out there approach demo programming in 2017 ? - Cause I bet I'm not the only one that don't have the luxury of being able to code on real hardware everyday(?).

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:54 pm

I have two machines with MonSTer cards, one Mega and one STE. Both have 8Mb alt-RAM in addition to the original 4Mb. The STE also have an ET4000 graphics card. In addition to the 8Mb alt-RAM the MonSTer card also has flashable TOS-ROMs and two IDE interfaces. I use IDE->SD adapters in both these machines. With Hatari on Linux I can simply move the SD-card from the Atari to the laptop and use it as a disk in Hatari. Not sure if this is possible with Windows - I remember trying it a few years ago but could not find a way to do it.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Social Media

Return to “Demos - General”